Sunday, November 10, 2013

Ikea Mirror Makeover

Last week I decided to make over a mirror that was sitting in the yard sale pile. This common Ikea mirror has been with me for many years. It is a heavy thing that has outgrown its welcome unless I could come up with a way to bring it back to life.


I decided to paint the mirror, with the idea that if I ruined it I could put it right back into the yard sale pile. First, I covered up the middle area that I did not want to paint. Question, does a better way exist to tape off a circle besides outlining the sides with tiny pieces of tape? That was not fun.

Use painters tape to protect areas from paint

I planned to use plain flat latex paint that I already owned. Therefore, I had to prime the mirror so the paint would stick to it.

paint primer spray

prepped and primed for paint

I painted two coats of paint to achieve the coverage I was looking for. I did have to take a small paint brush to get in between the little mosaic mirror pieces.

coat #1
Two coats of paint later

I did not put on a sealer because I am planning to hang the mirror on a wall where it would not get touched often. 
eat your heart out Ikea!
The mirror has not found a home on the wall yet. I am still debating whether to hang it in the guest room or the bathroom.


On a completly unrelated note, I picked up some ceramic egg crates from World Market.  I use them for jewelry organization.  My previous jewelry organizers had fewer pockets and a dark background that seemingly made my jewelry disappear. These little crates provide the perfect easily searchable white background with plenty of pockets to hold my goodies.

ceramic egg crates

I found a few treasures this weekend at local estate sales and my favorite consignment shop.  They will be the subject of my next post.

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. Love what you have done with the mirror, remember it, has been around awhile. Think it would look good in the spare room. The little egg crates found a good home, perfect for your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete